January 31, 2013

More trapeze

I had another opportunity to go out and practice trapeze again last night.  My friend (and boss!) Meredith sent me a note on Friday asking me if I wanted to "fly" on Wednesday night.  Of course I did! I've posted about the other two times I went flying, but I haven't mentioned that unfortunately, the school got shut down. Hopefully it's just temporary, but they are appealing to the County.  The owner, George, has a cRaZy neighbor who complained and got them shut down.  It's in his backyard, so she complained of noise and traffic.  So, for now, they just use the rig for some of their regulars two nights a week and don't can't charge any money. They are still licensed and insured, but are not operating a business.  Luckily for me, Meredith speaks to George regularly, and he invited her to come out, and she was kind enough to ask if I could be included as well. She knows how much I enjoy it!

I wish I would have taken some videos of the others that were there.  They were SO good--very experienced and also very helpful and patient with Meredith and I.  It was fun to watch them and dream of being that good! 

I mostly did tricks I've done before, but tried adding on to one of them.  The one new thing that I did was start from a one handed take off instead of two. This means that they hand me the bar and I hold it in one hand, and when they cue me to jump (hep!), I reach out and grab the bar with my second hand while jumping.  It sounded scary at first, but seemed pretty natural.  Here is a video of my knee hang catch, which you've seen me do before.

Here is my attempt at a new trick, and my 6th and last jump of the night.  I was getting pretty fatigued at this point.  You've seen me do this one before too, but this time, I was going to try to drop the bar and let Rod catch me.  I didn't do it--forgot to let go!  You can see where I was supposed to drop the bar and reach for him, but I was thinking I'd have another swing.  It all happened faster than I was expecting. Oh well, next time I'll get it!
Speaking of next time....they invited us to come out and fly with them regularly!  They meet every Tuesday and Wednesday night, so I'm hoping to make it a regular thing. As long as they're willing to let me join them, I'm excited to keep learning and practicing  It's crazy addicting to me!  We're going again on the 13th.  Stay tuned for the updates of my new trapeze career hobby! Thanks for including me, Mer, and of course to the awesome team of pros that lets this beginner join them!

PS: I just found this video that was on azcentral back when ATS was still in business.  It'll help you get an idea of what the place looks like.