February 13, 2011

A very special gift

When Tyler’s Great-Uncle David was in town in January, he got to see some of Tyler’s train artwork.  He made a deal with him that if Tyler sent him a picture of a train that he drew, David would draw a picture and send it to Tyler.  The thing that makes this such an awesome deal is that Uncle David is an artist.  We just knew that whatever he came up with would be pretty special. 

That very special package came in the mail on Friday.  I was blown away, and Tyler thought it was pretty awesome too!  David also ordered some really cool train postage stamps from years past and sent those as well.  They are each in an envelope with a sticker that describes the stamp and the year it was issued.  What an interesting collection!  Tyler will enjoy that too, but for now, he is very caught up in his new picture.  One of the first things he asked was if he could color it.  “NO!”  Man, I’m glad he asked first!  We will print out a copy of it and let him color that instead. 

IMG_3960

I have spent a ton of time just staring at it, and seeing something new each time.  There is so much detail on every little part of the train, the people, the buildings and the town.  I am so very grateful to David for taking the time to create such a unique and special piece of art for our little trainiac.  It is something he will treasure always.  Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go shopping for a frame to get this masterpiece hung on the wall!

Thank you so much, Uncle David.  Your talent is enviable and your generosity is so appreciated.  I feel so fortunate to have this special piece of your work.

Note: you can click on the image to see it larger.