January 13, 2023

Vegas Trapeze weekend: part 1

I took a bit of a last minute trip to Vegas this weekend. Jan, George, Ali, and Kaylin had this trip planned already, and there was room in the Ali and Kay's hotel room for me. I offered to drive, and crashed the party. Kay, Ali and I drove up last night and we plan to have 3 classes at the Vegas Circus Center. We got in pretty late on Thursday night because we had to wait until Kay was out of school. George and Jan were already there, so they met us in our hotel room for a quick chat. They had given this room to Kaylin for Christmas, and Ali and I were lucky enough to be her roommates for the weekend. 
We got in early enough for a quick trip to the hot tub before we went to bed. Ali and I even braved the pool, which was heated, fortunately. 
What better way to start the morning than with mimosas in bed with some of your best trapeze friends? Of course I bought a bottle of Prosecco with me and we got some OJ at the continental breakfast. We didn't have anywhere to be until our class at two o'clock today so we had plenty of time to kill. 
Oh look! Jan joined our hotel room bed party.....
What?! George too? How many Roso Flyers can you fit in one king sized bed? Five, apparently. What a lovely start to our first day in Vegas. 
Kaylin forgot her swimsuit, so we had to make a run to Target to find that and some other weekend provisions before we headed to the Circus Center. It wouldn't be the last time we'd be at Target this weekend. You can never have too many Target trips, right? 
I took a class here in October when Dave and I came for our anniversary. I was excited to be back again with some of my trapeze family. It's such a unique and amazing facility--it's kind of magical! After all, it's the first and only place I've ever caught a double. Kaylin wasn't flying with us back in 2019 when we traveled here as a group, so she got to experience it for the first time (and of course, caught double tucks and double pikes!). 
Speaking of catching things...Ali caught her first ever double layout out of lines with the amazing Pedro! It was so exciting! I am so happy that I was there with my friend to see her hit this huge milestone. 


We had a great first class with this crew. Peder (in the middle) was our catcher. Pedro's family helps coach and catch as well. His son Henderson (second from left) catches and works board, and his wife Narya (next to me) works board too. His super cute daughter Shyla is a big fan of our crew, and talks about the time they visited us in Arizona. She can often be seen proudly wearing her Roso Flyers t-shirt (we even had to have another one made for her when she outgrew the first). 
That wasn't our only excitement for the day. We also got to try bungee trapeze at Trapeze Las Vegas. Richie Gaona is a famous name in the circus world, and is part of a family that goes back for generations. He used to have a trapeze school in LA, but is now working in Vegas. Jan tried bungee trapeze on one of her last trips there, so we set up a class for us this time around. George was a bit too big to try it, so this was just for us girls. Ali went first, I was scared I was going to be horrible at it. 
But when I did have my turn, I didn't suck at it! I actually did pretty well! Here is a video of me so you get an idea of what this was. It was moderately scary because you just toss yourself off the bar and hope the bungees are snug enough. Richie is giving all the commands so you know what to do, and the only other thing he's doing is pulling the bar out of the way so you don't hit it when you bounce up, but so it's where it needs to be when you try to remount. It was really fun, I'd totally do this again. I was, however, super bruised on my hips from the super tight safety belt. But, worth it. 
Do we look cold? It was January in Vegas, it was actually pretty cold! We're all layered up and in our heated vests. 
We got the whole crew in my BeReal tonight.
You don't really expect a beautiful sunset like this on a cold winter night, but it was pretty spectacular! 
After that cold night outside, we needed to warm up in the hot tub before heading out for dinner tonight. It felt great! 
Ali and I took the most wonderful picture together! It's got to be one of the best I've ever taken with one of my friends. She even had it printed out to hang on he wall! It is a great memory of a super fun weekend. 

After our hot tub time, we got cleaned up and headed out to dinner nearby. 
Today was so much fun. I'm grateful for all the fun times I have with my trapeze family. I have a feeling this is just the start to a very memorable weekend. I love my trapeze family! I'm super happy to be here this weekend.