I loved my Cabbage Patch Kids when I was a little girl. I've shared pictures here a couple of times, with stories about my CPKs. This is one of my favorite pictures ever. It's me with my classic mullet hair style, and my 4 dolls, each holding a political placard for the 1988 Dukakis/Bentson political ticket. I was hoping to re-do this picture of Ava this year with her dolls and Clinton/Kaine sign, but she wouldn't do it for me. My favorite of these dolls was on the right, Lara Amy. She had "cornsilk" hair, instead of the traditional yarn of other CPKs. I spent hours fixing her hair, and it's probably where I learned how to french braid and other fun hair styles. It's worth noting again that I remember the first and middle name of all of these dolls, but don't have a clue what that cat was named.
While we were back in ND, we found this picture in a stack of old photos my mom had in the living room. I ran downstairs to grab a few of my Cabbage Patch Kids out of the closet they've been spending the last 25 years in, and introduced Ava to them. She fell in love with Lara Amy, in all of her 1980s glory. She too has a bit of a mullet, with curly short hair framing her face, and long flowing red locks in the back. If you can't read the words on these signs (what was it with me and taking pictures with signs??), mine says "Hi! I'm Erica Jean and I'm 7 years old!!!! PS: I love horses." Lara Amy is in her laundry basket crib, and her sign says "Hi! I'm LARA AMY!!! PS: I love ponies." Don't you love my glasses? I was Ava's age in this picture. This picture, and Lara Amy, are 30 years old.
I couldn't get Ava to recreate the sign with the political placards, but she was excited to recreate this picture with Lara Amy. This time around, her sign says "Hi! I'm Ava Claire and I'm 7 years old!!!!! PS: I love swim team." Lara's sign says "Hi! I'm Lara Amy and I'm 3 years old!!!! PS: I love swimming lessons." I tried hard to get her to say that Lara was 30 years old, which she is, but Ava didn't want the doll to be older. Pick your battles, I guess.Here we are, 30 years later! On the airplane back to AZ, I taught Ava to french braid and fishtail braid on Lara's hair, just like I learned so many years ago. Thanks, mom, for saving these dolls so I could share them with my little girl 30 years later.