October 10, 2016

Happy 90th birthday Grandma!

My grandma just turned 90 years old and she a pretty special lady. She is the oldest of 15, and has been the mother to 6 wonderful children--one of which, of course, is my amazing mom. Those 6 children gave her 9 grandchildren, and last but not least, 6 (well 5 that we've met) great-grandchildren. We're all anxious to meet #6 when Mallory's baby is born in March. Just think of the awesome legacy she and my grandpa started! 

I have so many great memories of my grandma from my childhood, and I love hearing my mom and her sisters tell stories of growing up in their house with the big front porch (and one bathroom) in small town Alexander. Meals around my grandma's table, big holiday dinners as well as a what constitutes for casual dinners (which for anyone else would look like a holiday meal) are probably one of the core memories of time with my family. She tried to teach me once, but I never did figure out how to make grandma's delicious rolls. My grandparents had this pick-up camper that I remember spending lots of time playing in--especially at Old Settlers Day picnics in Alexander. That camper was so cool! My grandparents game me my first car--which was in great shape even though it was a 1982 Nissan Stanza hatchback in the year 1994. I guess that was more thanks to my grandpa though. Grandma, at 90 years old, is still going strong. She is the most active nonagenarian I know. She goes to her classes at the gym several days a week, and uses the treadmill and weight machines too. She drives where ever she needs go go, she still cooks delicious meals, hosts coffee dates with her many friends, is savy with technology--Facebook, chatting online with her sisters, texting, reading on her Kindle--and has the greenest thumb of anyone I know. 

Grandma is loving, generous, kind, thoughtful, and devoted to her family. She has been a wonderful role model to my mom and her siblings, to me and my cousins, and will be to my children as well. I only wish that my kids were able to have her as a more present part of their life, but it's hard living so far away. We are lucky that she has been able to travel out here most years, and of course, that we are able to visit every summer. 

I'm so glad we were able to be home to celebrate this amazing woman on her 90th birthday. Thank you, grandma, for being such a positive influence on us all and helping us become the adults we are today. Thank you for helping to create so many wonderful memories for me throughout my life. We are all so lucky to have you in our family. Lots of love to you on this birthday, and for birthdays to come!