We all know I'm writing these posts a little late, and while they'll be dated chronologically, I'm writing after much has changed in our country. The day I'm writing about here was a really great day! It was while we were still filled with much hope about the future of our country. Things are scary now, and no one really knows what's going to happen, but what I do know is that I am honored to have been able to listen to the amazing, intelligent, passionate FLOTUS Michelle Obama speak at a campaign rally in Phoenix before the election.
I had heard that FLOTUS was going to be coming to Phoenix, and as soon as I found the option, I signed up to attend. I knew the date, but no other details until about the day before, and didn't know if anyone would be able to go with. When the day came, I brought my student worker Jessicah with me. She's 19 and this is her first opportunity to be involved with the political process. We got there a couple hours before it started and waited in line with many other like minded individuals. There was one screaming idiot across the street yelling at all of us through a bullhorn--telling all the women to get back to the kitchens where they belong, and insulting LGBT people and pretty much anyone else--you know, typical whack-job bigot who has become common place during this ugly election season.
Once we got in, we waited around for about 20 minutes or so. As always, Michelle gave a very powerful and moving speech. I doubt we've ever had a First Lady quite like her, and I doubt we'll see one again for a very long time. Michele 2020!
It was fun to take Jessicah with me. She's worked in my office for a year and a half now, and she's one of the good ones. It's funny how much she and I have in common--moved here from a cold state at 18 to escape the cold and live with an aunt, she was a former swimmer, and a bunch of other similarities. She was the first student who made me realize how much older I am than the students I work with. She was born in 1997--the year I graduated high school. That's when it hit me.
I feel very honored to have been able to listen to this special woman speak. I know she and her husband will go on to do great things for our world beyond their time in the White House. They've dealt with unprecedented and unwarranted hatred for many years, and I only hope they can find some relief from that in their next chapter. Thanks to the Obamas for the last 8 years. History will look very kindly on their years in the White House, even if so many are blind to it now.